Sunday 24 January 2010

Well you can't run a race in Spanx pants... or can you?

Spanx pants sum up my approach to any type of physical activity... no work and all the perceived gain! However when it comes to a 10km road race apparently they have these clever little digital chips which record just how long it took you to complete the run - and what's more they publish this information on the Internet for all to see and in my case laugh their socks off!!

Why is this of any concern I hear you say? Well Rosie has entered the 14th Annual 10km Lincoln Road Race which takes place on Sunday 21st March... so in 56 days I will have to endure the torture of running 10km aka 6.2 miles around the town of Lincoln finishing in the shadow of Lincoln Castle. Apart from the obvious downside of having to rise before lunchtime on the day (race starts at 11.ooam) I have failed to mention so far that I have yet to start any form of training; and as Jane and my fellow students in Managing Public Relations will know my arse is one that leaves a trail of destruction behind it!

So what's the plan Stan? This is where you guys come in, as of tomorrow I will be rising at the ungodly hour of 6am to drag myself to the gym and pound the treadmill for 45 minutes! I plan to do this on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday. However I have a terrible track record for not keeping to any sort of physical activity programme, therefore I am relying on all of you to motivate me in the hope that I will stick to the regime and eventually run the race and finish in a respectable time of under 90 minutes!

So why am I going to all this effort to run round Lincoln on a Sunday morning?!?! Well it's all in the name of Public Relations. My group and I have been set a task for our group assignment to create a PR campaign for a charity. We chose Bassetlaw Hospice in Retford http://www.bassetlawhospice.org/- it is where both my Aunt and Grandmother lost their battle with cancer and I feel that hospices in general whilst not a trendy topic for people to discuss (no one likes to broach death at the dinner table) is a sad necessity in the fight to ensure dignity and calm in the often dark and painfully final stage of many lives. To kick start the campaign I jokingly offered myself up like a sacrificial lamb to do the race in order to raise some media attention and of course well needed funds!!

So here I am on the eve of my training and to be honest while sat curled up on my sofa sipping coffee nothing fills me with more dread than rising three hours earlier than needed to physically exert myself but I promise that I will give it 100% but I do need your help, if you see me challenge me to make sure I've been to the gym and for god's sake if you see a chocolate bar on route to my mouth: backhand me, the harder the better!! I am going to blog over the coming weeks updating you all on my highs and the definite lows!

I can't do this on my own, so I look forward to all of you helping me, together we can do this! Are you with me? Right better dig my running trainers out... do platform heels count?!?!?!

2 comments:

  1. Love it! And yes, I believe you should wear your spanx when you do the run! Do you need sponsoring?! I will text you daily to ensure you are keeping to your strict regime and I may also join you by jumping around on my mini trampoline! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I am there for you my love....not at 6am in the morning but I am there in spirit ;-) I will also be there on the day to cheer you on....I may even get a t-shirt made :-) I think it's fantastic you are doing this and will be there for you every step of the way !!!!! xxxxx

    ReplyDelete