Wednesday 13 January 2010

There’s no I in DREAM TEAM but there is ME


I think it is paramount that before I become critical of other members of the team that I first take good long hard look at myself. I think it is safe to say that if I had to do this particular task again there would be many things that I would like to change and that includes my contribution to the team and our work. One thing about me that people who know me would say is that I am very good at spotting where things could be improved up if I was looking at somebody else’s team however when it comes to my own, I can be a bit slow on the uptake. I am also extremely conscious of the fact that I like to be the team leader or at least one of those who are regarded as someone to come to if clarification is needed; perhaps this is where a portion of the problem lies. I become so engrossed with making sure that everyone stays on track and focused that I soon become some sort of matriarchal figure head who is seen as the point of call for all issues or simply somebody to wipe the arses of those less capable.

But what does this achieve for both me as an individual and the team? Surely no long term good will come of there being a continuous cycle whereby I treat the other members as if they know no better, all this can lead to is my insanity and a weak piece of team work being produced.

However it isn’t me going mad Fawkes and Tench found ( 2004, cited in Table 3.2 Tench & Yeomans 2009, p. 52) that 84% of employers regarded team work as ‘very important’ – they can’t all be wrong. The solution is simple, in future I will embrace being more a member of the team rather than someone who is there merely there in an organisational and sometimes yes I admit nagging capacity – who wants to be a talking clock!

No comments:

Post a Comment